[PD] [coll] bug

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Jan 26 20:30:28 CET 2017

Joining late to the party...

Being the culprit (I wrote the threaded addition to the coll object) I
am curious--Alexandre, do you mind elaborating how did the threaded
thing break max-msp compatibility? If you create a coll object without
the optional arg, you get Max behavior. If you add the optional arg you
get threaded which theoretically breaks determinacy in favor of avoiding
dropping samples due to file I/O in the middle of a performance.

Tests in Max that stand out:

Reading and writing coll files while sound is running does not cause
xruns in Max, whereas in Pd it can depending on the size of the coll
file and CPU utilization.

You are right in that determinacy is preserved in Max no matter what
(e.g. read outlet bang outputs immediately after issuing the read
message in logical time).

Doing Uzi with 100k generated entries into coll object in Max and I get
guaranteed crashes from these on both 6 and 7.

Best,

Ico