[PD] Pd documents path proposal

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 00:19:22 CEST 2017

> On Aug 4, 2017, at 11:46 PM, Federico Camara Halac <camarafede at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> I tried Pd-0.48.0-test6-docspath3.app.zip on osx 10.11.6
>
> Paths Documents/Pd, and the sub dir 'externals' were all created
>
> It also gets added, after about one second delay, with message (log 4), which is puzzling, but i guess needed:
> "
> Pd documents directory: /Users/federicocamarahalac/Documents/Pd
> "

There is 1 second delay after starting the GUI before the docs directory path is checked. The print comes after that to confirm the current path at start.

> Whenever I manually change something (verbose, standar paths, add path, etc) and hit OK, I get an app error, with these details:
>
> invalid command name "1"
> invalid command name "1"
>     while executing
> "[::pd_docsdir::update_path $docspath]"
>     (procedure "dialog_path::commit" line 21)

Fixed.

> Startup Dialog: Not a huge deal, but it doesn't come to front when another dialog is open.

I'm not seeing that behavior, unless you mean under the audio or midi dialogs which are always on top of other windows when open.

> Will this dialog disappear in the future? I think it's going in that direction

If someone wants to work on that, maybe. Probably not me any time soon after this release. I have some ideas, but I *really* have to get work on other things after this release.

> Side note: In the Pd Browser it shows "-----Libraries----" and you have them created under "Pd/externals". I know there's been conversations in the list about this, but I wonder if these shouldn't be at least unified temporarily within pd. I believe Deken already says 'externals' everywhere. It would be useful for translating as well. I like "libraries", because it's more encompassing, but this is confusing when the library is of one external, like those in the extra folder. It might be just easier to think of the 'extra' as a library in itself i guess, and have this as a directory entry.

I can change the naming of Libraries to Externals, but I am not changing the listing behavior for now. Especially after spending time just putting it back together after the user search path stuff was removed previously.

Browser updates won't appear in the docs path test builds as that work is in another branch.

> Pd Browser:
>
> navigating to more than 3 sub directories are not showing. For example, the only option here is to open up the Finder, with double-click or with Return:
>
>   externals/Gem/examples/01.basic

That's because I limited the max # of cols to 3 because there is no horizontal scroll bar aka if you keep opening new columns, you can scroll back unless you click back or use the keyboard. We can bump the max to 4 if you want. I didn't feel like spending another *1-2 whole days* on adding & testing browser horz scrolling...

> I had some issues with Deken, where should I write these?

Open an issue on the deken GitHub repo: https://github.com/pure-data/deken/issues <https://github.com/pure-data/deken/issues>

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>