[PD] Issues with Gem 0.39-3 on OS X via Deken in Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 23:39:42 CEST 2017

On Fre, 2017-09-29 at 17:04 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> > On 09/29/2017 04:10 AM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> > > do you mean all Gem features won't work?
> >
> oops, meant to ask  do you mean all Gem features WILL work?
>
> sorry
>
> > there is no QuickTime on OSX/64bit
> Can anyone please elaborate on this please? This sounds weird to me,
> cause the 32 binary of Gem will run on 32 bit Pd on OSX/64bit, so
> "there is" QuickTime on OSX/64bit. Does it mean it has to be run on
> 32bit applications?
>
> And then, if you say there is no QuickTime on OSX/64bit, it sounds
> like there is nothing one can do to make it happen, unless rebuild
> OSX/64bit in a way it has QuickTime (and only Apple could do that).
>
> So I'm really confused on what the technical issues are.

Let me chime in to save others (most of all: the devs) the time to
answer here. I'm not very knowledgeable on the matter, but I believe
everything has been said already. The Quicktime framework called QTKit
exists only as 32-bit version and has been deprecated. Since Mac OS X
Lion the new default media framework is AVFoundation [1] which is 64-
bit, which is the 'primary' arch on OS X / macOS. From what I
understand, Gem only has plugins for QTKit, but not yet for
AVFoundation (we read recently that Dan has been working on video
playback with AVFoundation, though). This means if you want to have
video playback and recording in Gem now, you are bound to 32-bit Gem,
which means you need a 32-bit Pd and all other externals you want to
use have to be 32-bit, too.  At some point, Apple will stop including
old QTKit in their newer OS versions and Gem will lose most (any?)
ability to access/write media (camera, video files, etc.).

It takes some work to make Gem support the newer AVFoundation
framework, but this step is necessary for 64-bit / future-proof Gem to
become a reality.

Please correct me if I spread alternative facts.

Roman

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime