[PD] [solved] glitches when streaming UDP

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 23:31:02 CET 2018

I agree. I recorded 8 channel multitrack from Pd to Ardour using a single core Thinkpad back in the day with no drop outs.

You could try running Pd with a different nice level. Even though it has "realtime priority" it sometimes helps to cue the scheduler a little more directly.

> On Jan 30, 2018, at 11:21 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Interestingly, setting CPU scaling governor to performance is not
> enough for Pd (it is for other applications, though). When doing that
> for each core, they all run at maximum speed. However, it doesn't help
> with making Pd glitch free. I really have to put some load on them.
>
> This confirms what I suspected for while now: The advanced power saving
> features of modern CPUs don't really help for realtime audio.
>
> I wonder what softwares like Ardour do differently to not fall victim
> of aggressive power saving.
>
> Having a constantly running fan is also not an ideal situation. I don't
> care about increased power consumption at this point.  Maybe there is a
> less invasive way to keep the CPU busy?

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>