[PD] multiple instances of a patch forbidden in 0.49, why?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 21:48:17 CEST 2018

Sorry for reporting this so late in the test phase. One thing that
surprises me is, why would it be considered an accident to open more
than one instance of the same patch? This depends on the purpose of a
patch or project. For the audio test it makes no sense indeed to open
more than one. On the other hand, uses cases for multiple instances
are innumerable, for live performance, analysis, and who knows what
else. A patch is a tool and no one can tell how people use it. I would
rather say that unintentionally loading the same patch twice is a
mistake, but not one that pd must take care of by prohibiting it. A
popup warning or the like would be annoying enough in my view. Not
sure what would be a good solution. Frankly I'm just perplexed that
this protective behavior came up in pd.

Katja