[PD] font issues - once again ...

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 10:05:19 CEST 2019

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 12:03 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> I somewhat got tired from nagging about this issue, especially since I
> don't feel enabled to help in any way. Those font rendering issues seem
> really confusing, complicated, and hard to tackle, but they still
> bother me, because it is not only a matter of appearance, but sometimes
> even of functionality.

Since the fonts are now the same across platforms and we ported the Pd-extended box sizing, font issues now are largely due to system settings and issues with Tk. (Hopefully.)

I remember looking into Tk's scaling a year ago (or so) and Tk *still* is not consistent regarding HiDPI screens, especially on Linux. Windows is not great either. Ideally we could ask for the screen scaling metric and adjust canvas size & drawing with that. On macOS it works great, but that's largely down to the window manager handling scaling in an easy way for applications to deal with.

This topic might be worth revisiting to see if we could use the scaling value instead of setting it to 1.0 at startup as we currently do.

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 12:03 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> This probably should be mentioned in PD's README, so people know where
> to look for possible culprits concerning font issues.

There is also the fonts/README.txt that documents info about Pd's font usage.

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/tree/master/font <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/tree/master/font>

Perhaps this is a good place for this kind of info? Can the two of you, who have experience in debugging this issue, look into adding a section about this? Either there or on the wiki somewhere.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>