[PD] (PdParty) not detecting .pdz files under latest iOS

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 13:37:26 CET 2019

> On Dec 16, 2019, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> We experienced some problems with PdParty not recognising the .pdz files
> under latest iOS. We installed PdParty, sent the .pdz via whatsapp or
> downloaded it from a link. Then we tried to open it but PdParty was not
> in the list of applications available to open the .pdz.

In that case, you can *always* connect the phone directly to computer with iTunes installed and copy the files via iTunes File Transfer. Otherwise, the built-in web server will work over WiFi. The steps are listed in the User Guide.

I think this is fixed but just not in a release on the iOS app store yet via https://github.com/danomatika/PdParty/pull/70 <https://github.com/danomatika/PdParty/pull/70>. If not, I haven't had time to do a formal PdParty release yet but I've been meaning to get to it this winter.

> This happened with two phones, both running the latest iOS. Another guy
> with an older iphone did not experience this issue. In one case
> reinstalling PdDroid several times solved the issue but I am not 100%
> sure,

... PdParty (iOS) or DroidParty (Android)? I assume the former.

> the situation was a bit chaotic as this happened just one hour
> before a concert with seven musicians involved in the middle of a bigger
> festival and everyone was stressed and in a hurry so I could not test it
> properly.

Which iPhones running which iOS versions? I bet the difference is iOS 12+ bringing the Files app which may have broken the document type declarations used by PdParty.

*hint hint* I am behind the curve with testing new iOS versions and devices as I'm happily running my robot cowboy rig with PdParty on an iPhone 5S. If anyone would like more up-to-date support and works for an institution which supports the creation of art/music and associated tools, especially supporting a production which utilizes PdParty, throwing a newer device at a single developer who puts out the app for free would be helpful.

> We already used the same patch months ago and there was no problem. The
> same patch was totally fine under android, we actually solved the
> problem by replacing the faulty iphone with an android phone.

Ouch.

> Sorry not to be more precise, I dont have iphones around to test it
> properly. If someone could test it would be good to know if this is a
> global iOS problem or something we did wrong.

It is most likely nothing you did wrong.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>