[PD] Sample loop - start and end point (WAV files)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Feb 11 23:06:49 CET 2020

On 2/11/20 9:48 PM, William Huston wrote:
> As long as we are talking about soundfiler,
> > It sure would be nice if someone could make soundfiler read
> any audio file type:
>
> WAV MP3 OGG WMV FLAC AU AIFF etc

dan has recently done some refactoring of the soundfile-i/o backend,
which should make all this much simpler.

so *you* only need to implement whatever backend you want.
keep in mind, that Pd doesn't depend on any external library for doing
the encoding/decoding, and afaict it should stay that way.
so you "just" need to implement mp3, ogg, wmv, flac,... from scratch.

good luck.

to be honest: while i understand that mp3 is super-nice to have in your
DJ setup, it really isn't a production format. (same for ogg and wmv:
these are all handy formats to deliver content to the end-user, but not
something you want to use during production). flac is mostly an
archiving format.
which leaves WAV, AU & AIFF from your list, all of which are already
supported.
what your list is missing is CAF, and this is what motivated dans recent
work (so once his PR is accepted, you can read soundfiles "like a pro")

gmsrda
IOhannes