[PD] [r pd-dsp-started] was: Re: samplerate~

ffdd cchh camarafede at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 23:57:05 CET 2020

It depends.
If DSP is on, you get a bang. If it's off, you won't.

So, If I am expecting a bang because I saved and DSP is off, it just bugs
me that no bang is sent :)

If, say, you want to send one and only one bang to [switch~] so as to graph
tables when DSP starts, then [r pd-dsp-started] is only useful if you
spigot-out future bangs/saves/etc, otherwise you are graphing tables on
every save...

It's a feature if you use it for randomness, say, to randomize seeds
according to when dsp on/off switching or graph redrawing falls, say linked
with a [timer] object :)

Perhaps [r pd-dsp-started] should only send bangs when dsp starts or stops,
and not when the dsp graph is redrawn.

In any case, I think it's the misnomer what's confusing me. I realize that
saving redraws the dsp graph, but I don't see why the dsp would "start" if
it was already switched "on", even though I do understand that, for a tiny
moment, the dsp needs to be off behind the scenes.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 5:30 PM IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> On 2/18/20 10:21 PM, ffdd cchh wrote:
> > The bug/feature with [r pd-dsp-started] is that you'll get a bang
> > every time you save the patch,
>

> it's neither a bug nor a feature.
> the DSP-graph is re-built when the patch is saved, and so the
> "pd-dsp-started" is emitted.
>
> > so it's not very useful while patching
>
> how so?
>
> (a [metro] will also send bangs while patching, and yet it is useful in
> live-coding contexts.)
>
> gmsdtr
> IOhannes

fdch.github.io