[PD] Dropdown Menu external?

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Mon Apr 13 23:49:25 CEST 2020

Ingo wrote:
> OK!
>
> I'm aware of this problem and I'm constantly dealing with this.
>
> It would be great if Pd would have a few more graphical options like
> "put object to front" or "put object to background".
> This would save me a huge amount of time when layering different objects
> or putting a colored canvas behind an object.
>
> Especially that now it is only possibly to move something to the front
> by cut/paste which removes all connections.
>
> In Pd-extended it was possible to move an object to the front by Cut &
> Undo which would leave all connections in place.

hi, ingo !

just for completion:

apart from the great jmmmp library, there also the object [menubutton]
from the "tof" library. this is the one i use for all of my menu-related
purposes.

check out it's help file, it's not especially handy to deal with at
first sight, but once you figured out the creation commands, you will
get what you need. it's not an "all included" object like MAX's [menu]
though, so you will have to feed it any contents "by hand", but it's doable

PLUS you can give it a $0- send and receive name, so use can use it
independently and remotely just like any PD vanilla gui object !

about putting objects above each other:

please also consider putting GUI related things that use patchcords into
GOP patches (or subpatches) to make the cords invisible. will save you a
lot of trouble and no "object hidden behind object" workarounds are needed

best

oliver