[PD] else/click in conflict with method 'click' for class 'canvas' when compiling for camomile

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Oct 8 08:22:30 CEST 2020

On 10/7/20 11:12 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Hi, we're compiling camomile with externals from ELSE, the only issue I
> have is that else/click gets in conflict with an internal "click" class in
> Pd (which doesn't happen if it's an external), this happens because of this
> line of code
> https://github.com/porres/pd-else/blob/master/Classes/Source/click.c#L156
>
> and the warning given by camomile is "*warning: old method 'click' for
> class 'canvas' renamed 'click_aliased*"

i get the same with Pd-0.51.2.
the warning is only emitted in "-verbose" mode, which you probably
haven't enabled in your local settings of Pd, but which is probably
on-by-default in camomile.

apart from that:
calling class_addmethod() in the constructor sounds like a bug to me.
it ought to be called in the setup function (along with the other
class_addmethod() calls) - only once, when the library gets loaded.
this will also greatly reduce the number of times the warning is printed
from N to 1.

 > One way or another, I wanna get rid of the warning and I wonder if
 > there's a way to not interfere with Pd itself instead of disabling the
 > external. I guess there's no way,

no there's no way (apart from disabling the object itself; which - as i
explained above - you also need to do for the Pd-vanilla version).
it's Pd's way of saying "something is overriding an internal (it's
probably ok, but i want you to know)" - and this is exactly what
[else/click] is doing.

gfamdsr
IOhannes