[PD] Is it possible to access an abstraction without namecanvas?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Mar 5 19:39:48 CET 2021

On 3/5/21 6:49 PM, José de Abreu wrote:
> Hello list, this is just a curiosity of mine
>
> When we create [pd test] we can send messages to pd-test, so if i send
> [;pd-test vis 1] it will show up.
>
> But if i create an abstraction "test",
> [; test vis 1] doesn't work, i am assuming that i need to put a namecanvas
> there, but, is it possible to access it without namecanvas?

yes.

you can use "pd-<abstractionname>.pd" (e.g. "pd-test.pd").

however, i would strongly discourage you from doing so: all instances of
the same abstraction have that name, so they will all become visible.
use [namecanvas] to give your abstraction a unique label, or iemguts'
[sendcanvas] which doesn't require a label at all.

for subpatches, you can easily create unique names, e.g. [pd $0-foo]

> as a further question, a cloned abstraction also could be accessed without
> namecanvas? even just the first instance

this is covered in the helppatch of [clone].

fdmsar
IOhannes