[PD] documenting messages to/from Pd and dynamic patching

João Pais jmmmpais at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 12:22:58 CET 2021

> Em sex., 26 de nov. de 2021 às 20:19, João Pais <jmmmpais at gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
>     I don't see a mention to these messages: mouse, mouseup, mousedown,
>     relocate. And also all other messages related to gui stuff.
>

> yeah, I didn't put it. It felt like something hard to document and for
> more extreme cases. And now that Christof says I should really keep
> out of this dark corner, I wonder if I did right.

I don't remember now exactly why these methods are "dangerous" and
"unofficial" (it was discussed already a lot in the list anyway), but
I've been using them for more than 15 years with no big issues. If any
of these methods is cut, then my patches won't work anymore - hopefully
someone else's as well.

>     It could also be clearly mentioned that subpatches receive
>     messages sent
>     to pd-[subpatch], and abstractions are named [abstraction].pd (if I'm
>     recalling correctly) - unless there is a namecanvas used in those.
>

> how isn't it clearly mentioned?

The first one is mentioned in [pd Dynamic-Patching], although it might
be easier to understand if there is an example immediately under the
text. But there are enough examples of [s pd-xxxx] in the patch anyway
to deduce it.

The second isn't mentioned at all, the search results for "abstraction"
and ".pd" return elements in other types of contexts.