[PD] -batch flag: using cases / examples?

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 18:38:13 CET 2022

Hi,

On 04/02/2022 17:16, padovani wrote:

> Nonetheless, I just noticed now that there is a -batch flag.
>
> The pd command help prints: "-batch           -- run off-line as a
> batch process". However, I could not really understand how this works
> (and also couldn't find any further tips in the docs/lists).

Historically I think batch came before fast-forward.  It runs the
scheduler as fast as possible forever, until a quit message is sent to
the pd receiver.

Example could be something like:

pd -noprefs -noaudio -r 44100 -batch -nrt -open main.pd -send "onload
sine.wav 440 1000"

where main.pd has [r onload] and uses the incoming message to write an
audio a file using [writesf~] (remember to send pd "dsp 1", too).

For a real-world example, see the render.sh in my project:
https://code.mathr.co.uk/dynamo

Claude
--
https://mathr.co.uk