[PD] [PD-announce] ELSE 1.0-0 rc10 and live electronics tutorial released

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 05:08:08 CET 2023

Howdy, a quick update I needed to make in the middle of a course and to
settle the ground for a project I'm unveiling this week in a symposium (the
first draft of my modular abstractions).

One new thing I have is a great gift from Tim Schoen, he just gave me this
incredible object named [circuit~] that emulates analog circuitry. I'm
blown away and have no idea how it works, it's just pure magic as I see it.
As an atheist, I can't explain it...

Tim also helped in a compild version of [conv~]. I had this very expensive
abstraction and this is now a much more simplified version of the great
william brent's [convolve~] object. This was one of the things on my list
for a final release, so we're getting closer. By the way, I think I've said
it before, I'm planning a final release next year when Tim's Plugdata
reaches version 1.0 (phew, finally).

I'm still extendind the MC awareness of objects in ELSE. The [sine~] ,
[imp~]  and [adsr~] objects are now MC aware! The [adsr~] and [envgen~]
also got a new audio inlet for retriggering with impulses. Including new
objects, ELSE now has 70 signal objects that can deal with multichannels.

A family of new objects I'm really proud of is [pm6~], [pm4~] and [pm2~].
These are 6, 4 and 2 operators synths with a modulation matrix for phase
modulation. So yeah, think of DX7 and stuff. Or Native Instruments' FM8,
actually. This is beautifual, and MC aware! Being MC aware makes it
polyphonic with [voices~], without the need of [clone]. Did I mention I'm
working on modular abstractions? Yup, one based on [pm6~] is done, and
looks great with all the GUI there for you to set values in the modulation
matrix, plus panning, detuning, ratio. Really damn proud of this one.

A new [mono~] object offers monophonic voice management with signal rate
portamento output. A [mpe.in] object is my first take on managing MIDI
Polyphonic Expression. I guess that's the highlights and it for now.

Current object count is: 518 (277 signal objects and 241 control objects)!
299 coded objects (192 signal objects / 107 control objects) 219
abstractions (85 signal objects / 134 control objects) Not much new in the
tutorial, just some updates and revisions to add the new objects and
breaking changes in ELSE. Total number of examples is now 508!

 More details in https://github.com/porres/pd-else/releases/tag/v.1.0-rc10

Get it from there or deken (no raspberry pi yet).  Expect this one soon in
a next PlugData release.

cheers