[PD] Pd-list Digest, Vol 225, Issue 2

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 4 13:19:39 CET 2023

On 12/4/23 13:00, Thomas Mayer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 04.12.23 10:55, Yann Seznec wrote:> As a side note, perhaps someone
> more knowledgeable than me could update
>> the version of Pd that is currently accessible from apt-get? I didn't
>> mind compiling from source but it is pretty handy to be able to just
>> do apt-get when setting up a new Pi.

i'm not sure i understand the question here.

you can always get the version of Pd by just running 'pd -version' (if
you still have the "puredata-core" package installed, run '/usr/bin/pd
-version' to not accidentally run your self-compiled one.

in any case, which version of Pd is shipped with Raspberry Pi OS depends
of course on the version of Raspberry Pi OS itself.

the latest and greatest Raspberry Pi OS is based on Debian/bookworm, and
therefore comes with Pd-0.53-1 (see
<https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/puredata>)

> I am unsure, if Raspberry Pi OS is based on Debian or is actually using
> the Debian sources

traditionally they (Raspberry Pi OS) provide their own binaries. iirc
this is because they are really targetting armv6 (without FPU), as found
in the Pi Zero, which is not supported by Debian's armhf flavour (which
requires an FPU). (or maybe it's some other CPU feature, not the FPU; in
any case: something along these lines).

i'm not sure about the situation for RPiOS/64bit.
as i don't have an RPi/64bit booted, i've checked
<http://archive.raspbian.org/multiarch/>, which seems to only come with
a small subset of packages, so it's possible that they indeed switched
to the official Debian repository)

.

> You can look that up in /etc/apt/sources.list or a file in
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
>
> If it contains a line like
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

typically you would use http://deb.debian.org/debian/ instead of a
country-specific URL (unless you have specific reasons not to, like an
aversion against CDNs like CloudFlare or Fastly; or a specific mirror is
really close to you).

fnsae
IOhannes