[PD-ot] (no subject)

Stefan Turner stefan_turner at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 16:34:37 CEST 2004

Hi list. I recently sent this to the ALSA users' list,
so apologies if any of you get this twice. Think I
need all the help I can get though!

Please can someone help a useless newbie with trying
to install a Tascam US-122? I'm using Mandrake 10 on
Dell Inspiron 5100.

I have followed all the instructions (docs in each
..tar and
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Tascam&card=US-122&chip=EZUSB+FPGA&module=usb-usx2y&usbmidi=1)
as best I can, built alsa-driver-1.0.5,
-firmware-1.0.4, -lib-1.0.5, -oss-1.0.5, -tools-1.0.5
and -utils-1.0.5 (using ./configure; make; make
install except for alsa-driver where I used
../configure --with-cards=usb-usx2y
--with-sequencer=yes --with-isapnp=no; make; make
install), modified modules.conf and modprobed
snd-pcm-oss, snd-mixer-oss, snd-seq-oss.

So far I know the first phase of the firmware loading
is working because the product id changes to 8007 as
mentioned in the usx2yloader documentation, but that's
a far as it gets. usx2yloader always says 'no
US-X2Y-compatible cards found' and whenever i modprobe
snd-usb-usx2y it says:

FATAL: Error inserting snd-usb-usx2y
(/lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/kernel/sound/usb/usx2y/snd-usb-usx2y.ko.gz):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see
dmesg).

dmesg says LOADS of messages like:
snd-usb-usx2y: disagrees about version of symbol
snd_pcm_period_elapsed
snd-usb-usx2y: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed

with loads of different variables. Is this a conflict
with the old ALSA already on there and if so how am I
meant to remove the old version?

The really annoying thing is that it worked once: I
was able to modprobe snd-usb-usx2y and when I booted
up the LED turned on and usbx2yloader worked. I cannot
remember exactly how I got to that stage but I don't
think I did anything different to now, and the next
time I booted up, it was back to this stage. Several
reinstalls later, I'm still no further.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. It's either
that or back to Windoze :(

Cheers
Stefan Turner