[PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Dec 15 23:28:49 CET 2006

Hallo,
Bryan Jurish hat gesagt: // Bryan Jurish wrote:

> (B) is the onboard soundcard on said laptop tolerable (A/D-D/A sync,
> general quality, etc.)?  [i realize it probably won't be great; i just
> can't afford a hammerfall, my quattro is basically crap, and the adc on
> my terratec usb is thoroughly unsatisfying]

Being in part responsible for your choice of USB card: I also upgraded
from the cheap Terratec USB to the Terratec Phase26, which has really
good ADC.

Note that on Linux all USB soundcards have the same latency

Another card family to look at my be the Echo Indigo cards (PC-Card).
They lack in channels, but otherwise are very good from what I heard.

Firewire seems to be an option nowadays too on Linux thanks to
Freebob, but I don't have any experiences with it.

USB and Firewire may have the advantage, that they are somewhere else
if a laptop is stolen. ;) (Sorry, I just couldn't resist to make this
silly joke.)

The newer Intel soundcards (HD Audio) on paper should have very good
specs, but I have no knowledge how good this translates to the real
world.

Ciao