[Pdweb] Portal Migration nearly done...

Michael Zeltner michael.zeltner at chello.at
Fri Jun 11 18:22:50 CEST 2004

Am 11.06.2004 um 17:51 schrieb Winfried Ritsch:

> Am Mittwoch, 9. Juni 2004 17:35 schrieb Marc Lavallée:
>> Le 9 Juin 2004 05:09, Michael Zeltner a écrit :
>>> CMFBoard caused (as i mentioned earlier) loads of problems and
>>> doesn't
>>> integrate itself into plone in a nice plonish way.
>>
>> I looked for more informations about these problems and can't find
>> anything.

i can't tell you where to find info about that, i'm just able to tell
you what i've heard from several people on irc.

> yes it looks very cool and I try it, I just saw we have also to
> configure the
> mailer and some forwarder skripts, so we can get postings on the forum
> over
> email, I think it need a little time to set up since the mailing stuff.

cmfboard doesn't work like plone does, so breaks consitency and
usability: the developer also didn't get that security is done by
workflows not by properties and it explicitly doesn't use "more"
integration into plone (checkin messages like "more work on removing
dependency from plones styles" or something like that) - god knows why.

according to several people i know, the code it uses is really messy,
even for a zope product ;) i have looked at it once but only a few
templates, and i denied to clean it up, because it'd take longer than
working on something new.

>>> PloneBoard seems to work okay, even if it hasn't been released yet
>>> (maybe because some features are missing?) it's available in the
>>> collective cvs.
>>
>> It doesn't work with the latest Plone, but it could certainly be
>> fixed.
>> Also, it's not internationalized.

why not? i can't think of anything that'd break something - there are
just some templates that need to be updated so they're conformant to
the new styles. not a big deal, takes 20 mins.

> I didnt see a working installation, so I see not what really could
> beat the
> CMFBoard, even it should work with newest plone and Archetypes...

as i said, it's only in cvs and there's no released version so i don't
think someone gives an example. it beats CMFBoard in several things -
integration, cleanness of code, more integration into Plone. But as i
said, it doesn't use that feature bloat, however stuff like the mail
forwarding is planned if i remember correctly.

i'm just a plone developer that suggests to "do things right".

regards, michael
--
</gro.jiin//:ptth> °jiin