[Pdweb] Re: Proposal wrt. guide new users with silk gloves

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Tue Jan 30 14:53:00 CET 2007

First of all, thanks for the response! It really is much appreciated.

On 30/01/2007, at 9.14, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Georg Holzmann wrote:
>> Hallo Steffen!
>>
>> @IOhannes:
>> Is it possible to set the rights in these sections, so that we can
>> modify puredata.org like this ?
>>
>> Or maybe as a general question, is it good to let all registered
>> people
>> edit these pages ?
>
> right, we should find a consensus about this before i open the page.
>
> ideas:
> 1) totally open page: everybody registered can write (add/modify/
> delete)
> everything everywhere, including the private section of the members
> 2) open page: everybody registered can write (a/m/d) in all
> sections BUT
> the members folders.
> 3) closed page: only "certain" members can edit the non-members areas

I also prefer 3), but with a few trivial extensions. As i see it, the
site is now divided into tree parts: a) the members pages, b) the
wiki pages and c) the non-wiki pages, where b) and c) are non-members
pages. Hence the wee extension would be:

4) semi closed page: only "certain" members can edit the non-members
non-wiki areas (that is c)). Any member can edit the wiki pages (that
is b)). Only the member can edit there own member area, except a
super user incase of for example child porn.

To make it consistent with how the CVS repo works, people would then
have to apply to be one of those "certain" members, that can edit the
non-wiki pages.

And there need to be decided what should be wiki and what should be
non-wiki. For example could the community section be a wiki, while
anything else could be non-wiki?

> anyhow, whichever security model is chosen, it should be discussed
> here.

Agreed indeed. For example i'd like to know what Hans thinks about
this, as he mentioned earlier that he had some strong opinions on
what should happen to dev/ and docs/.