[PD] [OT] FOSS audio tools (was: sound for blender apricot opensource game)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 3 12:51:03 CET 2008

thanks for mentioning those. we're getting a bit OT now, but just a few
quick comments:

-ardour is certainly a great and advanced DAW, no doubt. recording can
be definitely done with FOSS.

- jamin is cool and powerful software too, but it follows the wrong
strategy: you can only use it in real-time, since it is a jack-plugin.
having to render in realtime is a pain and dangerous in many situations
(all drop-outs are in the resulting file). OTOH, LADSPA plugins don't
support customized guis, AFAIK, therefor there is no option to do
something like jamin as a LADSPA plugin. IMHO, most LADSPA plugins might
be good scientific applications, but definitely not for everyday studio
work (no visual feedback, strange scales of parameters).

- both ardour, jamin and almost all sound editors i found don't have an
accelerated gui. scrolling causes high cpu peaks.i don't know any
software on windows, that uses cpu for the gui part. it's sad, that i
have hardware (gpu) in my box, which isn't used at all (but only when i
do Gem).

- i actually appreciate the concept of modularized and specialized
tools, that are connected over a soundsever instead of a monolithic 'it
can do everything' tool. however, since LASH and its precedessor  LADCCA
don't have the same level support in each software, that could be used
in a studio environment, it's kinda hard to manage projects.

- there is not audio editor around, that even loosely fulfills my needs.
probably the makers of Elephants Dream felt the same. Some of them lack
native jack support, others use very strange sets of shortcuts, or are
pretty raw in general.

yo, those are just a few reasons why the makers of Elephants Dream may
didn't want to go for FOSS for the sound part. i hope it's only a
question of waiting some years, until the audio world gets to similar
level as blender reached in the 3d world.

roman