[PD] fixes in 0.41?

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:13:46 CET 2008

I just realized that [netsend] and [netreceive] are unreliable, and
this may be the source of most of my crashes now.

When bursts of large numbers of messages are sent, there are random
message losses. I may send 1000 messages in a burst and lose messages
613 through 918, with nobody issuing any error message or warning.
Btw I am using TCP netsend/receive, not UDP.
When a bunch of messages is lost, usually a corrupt message is
received (i.e. netreceive outputs a garbage message that has never
been sent: probably resulting from a "piece" of message).

Among other things, I am using received messages to dynamically create
objects in a subpatch, so god knows what happens when a garbage
message is appended to a "obj x y" message sent to a canvas: that may
be one source of crashes.
Another one may be some symbol being sent to a numeric [select] or
viceversa, or some message of an unexpected or illegal type entering
an inlet it shouldn't enter. I am carefully checking and routing MY
messages, but always assuming that only the kind of messages that I
know are being sent can be received. TCP communication is all about
guaranteing such an assumption is true.