[PD] Letter -> Number

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Wed Feb 13 15:02:54 CET 2008

Hi,

I use Lua to do keyboard input processing [1] (from GridFlow's [#out
window] so I don't accidentally activate any Pd shortcuts when
performing...).

A Lua object to map symbols to numbers would be very simple:

     -- snip boring class init stuff
     local tab = { A = 1, a = 1, B = 2, b = 2 }
     function MyClass:in_1_symbol(s)
       self:outlet(1, "float", { tab[s] or -1 })
     end

I think [select] is probably "the Pd way", albeit "unattractive" as you say.

Another library that might help is pdcontainer, which has a "map"
object, where you can associate values to keys.  It's been a while since
I used it however, but I seem to remember it was quite intuitive / well
documented.

Claude

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> just in case, you didn't know the objectclass, there is a objectclass
> [key], which outputs a number, whenever a key is pressd. since you want
> to press only single keys, having to press enter after each keypress
> could be a pain.
>
> however, if you decide to go for [key] instead of symbolatom, you use a
> table to look-up the numbers.
>
> roman
>

> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 21:29 -0500, David F. Place wrote:
>> Dear Pd Friends:
>>
>> I need to create a mapping from letters into numbers:
>>
>> (A->1,a->1,B->2,b->2,...)
>>
>> I want to be able to enter a letter into a symbol box and translate
>> it to the number.   This will allow me to enter rehearsal letters
>> from parts that cue up a sequence to the right spot.   I can think of
>> very unattractive ways to do this in Pd using select.   Is there an
>> elegant way?
>>
>> Best Wishes,
>> David

[1]