[PD] Am I in time to propose the Xth Sense lib to be included in Pd-ext?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Mar 9 16:38:51 CET 2012

On Mar 9, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Marco Donnarumma wrote:

> Sadly it's too late to include Xth Sense to Pd-ext, I already ask for
> the inclusion of PdMtl and Mtl Abstraction in the next Pd-ext (0.43).
>

> ooh :/
> wow, PdMtl is out there since ages...
> I always thought why it is not yet included.

One showstopper is that it relies on objects that are not included in Pd-extended (pool, last I checked).  But mostly its because there has never been a proper versioned release.

> Quoting Hans
> "
> I think its too late for 0.43, but 0.44 is definitely possible.  With
> much less work, we can make it easy for people to find and install
> themselves, and that takes effect once you do it. Only one small thing
> has been added since November, so its in feature freeze.
>

> I see, fair enough. But why it is such a hassle?
> If the library is ready according to the community guidelines, is it still a pain to include it?

People have come to expect quite a bit of consistency with libraries in Pd-extended, and this consistency is cross-platform.  Indeed this is a core goal of Pd-extended.  That means that new libraries need to be checked so that they are known to work the same across all platforms that Pd-extended supports.  It also means that every object included in Pd-extended will work with only Pd-extended, no external libraries required.  And it means that every object has its own help patch, and so on, and so forth.

If you think that getting into Debian/testing is hard, that is easier than it seems.  The library template takes care of that for you, and I'm happy to sponsor/upload/maintain in Debian any Pd library that is based on the Library Template.

> - Having it on github will make that a easier too.  You don't need to
> make release tarballs, for example, you can just tag a release in git,
> ie "git tag v0.1", then github makes a link to a downloadable tarball.
>

> Xth Sense is happily on github already.
>

> - adding it to the puredata.info/downloads section will make it easy for
> people to find
>
> - and making sure it works fine when you drop it into ~/pd-externals,
> ~/Library/Pd, etc.
>
> did that to facilitate installation process during my workshop.
> Will add it to downloads when it will be ready.

Tag a release, and github will make a download link for you.  Then you can add that to the downloads page.

Man has survived hitherto because he was too ignorant to know how to realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams