[PD] raspberry-pidi (was Re: Textual pd primer)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Aug 18 21:00:38 CEST 2012

On 08/17/2012 08:46 AM, Pierre Massat wrote:
> Just a thought : wouldn't it be useful to create a pd-Raspberrypi at iem.at
> <mailto:pd-Raspberrypi at iem.at> address ? I get the feeling that there
> will be more and more messages about this new platform which may not
> necessarily be interesting to pure Pd users.

hmm, i don't have a problem with creating another mailing list, but i
would like to keep in mind:

- many questions that arise in the context of the rpi really are not
intrinsically related to the rpi. e.g. this thread "textual pd primer",
is really about running Pd on a headless machine, which is more
universal than an rpi.

- there are a lot of questions (e.g. how to open midi-files) on topics
that are not necessarily interesting for "pure Pd users"...but then,
what is this "pure" thing?

- in retrospect i consider it a mistake to have split the "pd-ot" list
from "pd-list": in 2012 we have a total of about 22 mails on that list
(so it's virtually unused), whereas there are still "[OT]" mails on
Pd-list, and i don't see a real reason why to ban the occassional OT
mail from it.
the rpi is a relatively new thing and people who recently received there
copy, start running Pd on it. hence we had a couple of rpi-related mails
in the last few weeks. i expect this to go back to "normal" pretty soon.

but again, if a sufficient number of people demand a mailinglist for
RPiD, i will happily create one.

fgmadr
IOhannes