[PD] tanh() or a compressor?

Brian Fay ovaltinevortex at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 05:54:00 CEST 2013

Are you using a pop filter or windscreen or anything in front of the mic?
Maybe that could help filter out some of the super-loud plosive and
fricative sounds.

Moving further away from the mic would definitely lower the volume, too
(the SM58 is a cardioid mic, so it has proximity effect, where bass gets
emphasized the closer you are to the mic). I guess the proximity effect
will actually sound pretty nice on the kicks, but it also would explain why
the peaks are so high.

I guess you'll probably need the compressor (or tanh if you like the
distortion), but definitely give a pop filter/windscreen a shot if you
haven't (and let me know if it works, because I really have no clue and I'm
curious haha)